Memoirs of a Totoaba Swim Bladder



International Save the Vaquita Day
July 24th 2021




Wrapped in bow-tied brown paper.
Guangzhou –
Guangdong Province.
China.
12th – 26th December 2018.[1]
I remain unseen,
Undetected,
And unprotected.
Operation SY608 failed me.
My host was taken from the sea
And now I am an illegal detainee –
Hanging in hegemony
Above embers
Of seared salmon.
16 individuals arrested.
444.3kg of maw confiscated.
I am just 1% of the weight of my host –
500g at most.[2]
But, I was mutilated -
Commercially diced and calculated,
And now I weigh just 50g (1-liang).
My host was a woman –
Reducing my value lower
Than my frail,
Male,
Neighbour.

Permeated with fumes arising from the
S81 Guangzhou Ring Expressway -
My soul still cindering was
Cremated in an urban ashtray.
I was led astray
From my host,
Of whom was
Discarded in the dark depths
Of the Sea of Cortés;
The Vermilion Sea.
Here,
My host became
Bloody debris
Because of me –
“Cocaine of the sea”.

I miss her.
I killed her.
She was murdered for me –
Her amputee.
She,
Consumed as a delicacy
Or simply dumped back into the sea,
Was slaughtered for me.
Her murder,
Illicit,
With one exception -
Earth Ocean Farms;[3]
Freedom to bear arms.
A special permit granted
To fish the Totoaba –
My host,
The roast
Of the Yaqui, Seri and Cucupá.[4]
She,
No longer caught for the
Indigenous community,
But instead,
Was trafficked
With impunity.

Covert operations
Are captured on camera
By Sea Shepherd -
Framing the portraits
Of criminals
And their bycatch -
The Vaquita -
Driven to imminent extinction
By the unconscious,
Indulgent
Eater.


Suspended cities
Of plastic nets
Woven in a grid-like structure,
Capture the civilians of Cortés -
The Vaquita.
Phoenix Arizona,
A flat metropolis,
Lies a 360 miles drive -
10, 85, 8, 195,
And lastly,
Number 5 highway –
From San Felipe.
Phoenix Arizona,
A lattice of unsuspecting
Sinkholes,
A grid of natural extraction,
A catalyst of chain reactions,
Mirrors this marine world
Of whose future is yet to be told.
Greed drives the consumer
To climb an incessant ladder –
Always wanting more
Than before;
The Totoaba bladder,
And my host –
My net-evading ghost.

So here I am –
Hanging in hegemony
Above embers
Of seared salmon.
16 arrested –
Their trafficking operations contested.
Yet my doppelgangers arrive
Unannounced,
Tipped off;
The products of bribery,
For the upper echelons of society
In Asia.

If my host continues to be hunted
The Vaquita will be whisked into
Obsolescence.
Tomorrow as the sun beats down
On the Vermillion sea,
We wait for news on the Vaquita’s
Liberty -
Their continuity.

Please stop buying me!

_______


References

[1] ECNS, (2018). China customs cracks major totoaba smuggling ring. Available at: http://www.ecns.cn/news/2018-12-26/detail-ifzccnsu7720354.shtml.

[2] 2016. COLLATERAL DAMAGE: How illegal trade in totoaba swim bladders is driving the vaquita to extinction. [ebook] London: Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA). Available at: https://eia-international.org/wp-content/uploads/EIA-Collateral-Damage-FINAL-mr.pdf .

[3] Tasteatlas.com. n.d. Totoaba Fish | Local Blue Fish From Baja California. [online] Available at: https://www.tasteatlas.com/totoaba-fish .

[4] Paracchino, P., n.d. Totoaba Fish - Arca del Gusto - Slow Food Foundation. [online] Slow Food Foundation for Biodiversity. Available at: https://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/en/ark-of-taste-slow-food/totoaba-fish/ .

Comments

Popular Posts