An Unsalvageable Sunflower



Spring frost thaws
When meeting the morning mist
In the     midst
            Of August.
My sun-kissed petals
Have become pallid.
And I sing the sentimental ballad
Of     loss.
Who am I
If I am not
A yellow sunflower?        
        Happiness is my only power,
And now that has                                 gone.
I am a figure painted by Keith Vaughan.
I have no face,
            No space,
                        To         be.
Floral phonetics
Are fractured at the stem.
I have no voice.
Omitted from the pages of James Joyce’s
Articulation of the demure drum
That is daily life.
Cast aside like a blunt breadknife -
Unable to fulfil its duty.
I am no longer a beauty.
I am off duty.
Redundant.
Irrelevant.
A sad sentiment
In my ballad of loss.
I dream of my days in Alsace.
Serving another
Being a lover
Of life
And loneliness
And even the melancholy;
                                The folly
                                        Of feeling,
                                                    Of being
Needed.
My seeded
Face
Has flaked away in the frost.
Some have scattered and become lost
In this large and liminal
                                                                                Space
                                                                                                That is living.

Exams:
Emaciation
Emancipation -
An incompatible combination.
My petals starved of the sun.
I fear that my food
Is fading                                                                                                                     away -

Reducing my body
To nothing.
Not even the semblance of a sunflower
Will stand.
Nature has abandoned me.
And I lay forgotten under the bespoke
Birch Tree.
I am delicious debris
To the grass flea
Amongst a sea
Of floral tombs.

Is my starvation measured in stilettos
At 30 Euston Square?
A begrudgingly bare
                            Arena
For the body of a bruised teenager.
A space of blue silk suits,
                                Quilts -
Quivering in Scotland;
A room of desperate dreams,
Frayed at the seams
Of sanity.
The brutality of Britain.
Victims of vicarious liability.
Traumatized by tradition,
And unconscious volition -
Aspiring solicitors.
Legally thwarted by the frost
On my petals;
My prophetically pathetic power -
Politically pressed
Into the pages
Of a book -
Hidden in the crook
Of calamity -
                Crazed on the chaos
Of kindness
When standing on the brink
                                                    Of Death.
A dreamscape of terror.
Trial and error.
I am weary now.
I have made a vow
To stand until the end.
Yet my colour has gone,
                            And I am
A dust ridden bookend,
A forgotten friend,
Unable to make amends -
Tragically unable to transcend
The tale of time.
Stolen before my prime.
I always preferred bedtime
In those nebulous hours
Between dusk and dawn,
When the world sleeps
And my mind creeps
Towards memories that it keeps
Locked in the trenches of
                    Internalised injury.
                    The carefree
Space of passing;
                                    Trespassing
Into retained realms
Of a woman who once was
As happy as a sunflower -
Shining brightly
In shades of yellow
Ignorant of her impending peril.

Deflated with untapped ambition.
Infatuated with the feeling of inferiority.
An aspiration to seek authority
Over my falling body.
                                    A dichotomy
Of deadly consequences.
Figurative fences erected
To severe my soul.
My seeds roasted into a human casserole -
Fired in the pits of an air-fryer.
                                        I have become dryer.
                                                                        I feel dire.
I will retire
Soon to rest
Now that I have confessed
That I will soon leave
                                        Life,
                                                So that one can replace that
Redundant bread knife.

The succulent summer
Will once again melt
Into sun-scorched earth.
Liquid life.
A river of fat.
Unsalted Irish oil;
My roots inhale this salubrious soil,
Until I dehydrate,
                    And abate
Into my mind’s abyss
Of perfectly palatable
                                    Pain.

Grasped by a stranger on
The precipice of life.
A tiptoe too soon -
Upon return from Teddington.
Clutched as though a prize,
A surprise
For a sad stranger;
A simple addition to an unforgiving bouquet,
Washed away
By pretentious pallets -
                                        Painted
And acquainted
With austerity.
My absent body is brilliant
In being tragically obscure
Amongst these other
Rays of light;
                A sight
That accentuates my plight.

My yellow is fading,
And I am trading
On the black market
Of mystery.
Fraudulent.
            Fictitious.
                       Suspicious
Of sole merchants
Making me glow
B r i g h t e r
    Then I truly am.
I am     dyed
And then     supplied
Under false pretences.
A betrayed body
Sipping on
The Grapes of Wrath -
Conversing with John Milton
Overlooking Paradise Lost.
A body befallen before God’s gracious greed,
Unable to ever be freed.
Sitting on the suburbs of complete starvation
I drink eucharistic elation.
Castration.
Damnation -
                    For the dead sunflower
                                                            Who refused
                                                                                To consume,
                                                                                                    To believe in an empty tomb.

No resurrection,
No protection,
        Anymore.
From anyone.
The frost has finally won.

Comments

  1. Wow Rhiannon, just WOW!!! You have such an amazing talent! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts