Dear Prospective Rhi...

(This poem was written as homework from The Maudsley Hospital on 28th February 2022)


Dear prospective Rhi
What do you envisage your future to be?
Fast forward this tape recorder
To a life beyond the chains of your eating disorder.


The days are warm, and cinnamon coated –
Where lebkuchen biscuits are consumed without fears of becoming bloated.
Spontaneous trips to an authentic pizzeria,
Might help reverse my amenorrhoea.
Artichokes and olives waltz in harmony
Upon a sourdough floor –
Waking me from my fatal languor.
Immeasurable lattes might be devoured.
I will be empowered.
For right now,
A dirty chai
Will cry
For release,
From the past to peace.
“Another tea?”
No, let me hide in my soul’s debris.
I do not wish to be this Rhi.
In the future I will not count calories consumed,
As food will heal my enduring wound.
I wish to be ‘Little Rhi’,
Unbound and entirely free.

Stars will twinkle in the obsidian night;
A painting of relinquished plight.
My smile will not suppress dark dreams of sorrow,
But will sparkle in joy with the thought of tomorrow.
A family meal
Will be ethereal –
As I will fly from the crushing wheels of guilt and anxiety,
Able to feel satiety.
I will not wake hungry and tortured
With thoughts of grease-stained food,
During the night’s incessant solitude.
Instead, I will sleep until dawn
And live on
With strength for the day ahead -
With gingerbread
And books unread.

Sat in the office of a solicitor’s firm,
I will welcome those seeking asylum
With kindness and empathy,
For they survived journeys across the sea.
I will not feel agitated and weak,
For I wish to reverse the bleak
Monotones of imprisonment and evil.
For this, I will need human diesel.
I shall craft a new easel
Where these people can repaint futures
Of love and laughter,
Hereafter.

Hiking up waterfalls
Mountains
And roads,
Where joy explodes,
Will become a painless hobby once again;
Enchanting as finding the Goblin men
Hobbling down Rossetti’s glen.
My body will feel elated not sad,
And as I withdraw my sepia notepad,
I will record simple pleasure
To measure
My success
And progress.

A flat filled with books
Will echo poetry into she who cooks.
Aromas of spice will warm her soul,
Enabling her to fulfil the role
Of adoptive mother
To another
Little human,
Wrapped in cumin.

A dog will be present -
Fulfilled from walks
Across dawn kissed fields.
Lying by a fire, she yields
To dreams induced by fresh air
Elsewhere.

***

A relationship might be nice,
But for now, I must work on my internal price;
A value aside from numbers and scores -
One filled with open doors,
And a past placed in my chest of drawers.
I am the person I am today because of my illness,
But I am ready to escape the stillness
Of a life with anorexia.


Comments

Popular Posts