Bits of poetry and observations written in Japan

1. Fulfilment is found in solitude.
The distant, subtle company of an English word is enough;
A smile, a nod, a look of recognition.

Butterflies skip and bees swim in the urban air; the rural façade.

But here, the hydrangea, the camellia, the bonsai become your friends-
And as they hum in the passive breeze-
They speak to you, letting you know that you are whole…

And so, I go on.

[Tokyo National Garden: 19/04/18]



2. A turtle bathes in the evergreen light.
The pagoda peeks over the wilting wisteria.
A Japanese man feeds a flock of pigeons-
And I sit and I write in this oriental sight.

[Nara: 26/04/18]


3. Gas, rabbits and a hidden island;
A bulwark of poisoned stone and sand,
Was kept hidden from the ignorant world,
Whilst innocent creatures with chemicals whirled.

Allied forces discarded this dark past,
It was over in seconds like the A-bomb blast.

Irony stands within a days distance,
As one city stands in a state of existence.
One is left in total desertion,
Whilst the other thrives in peaceful assertion.

Blame the rat or the rain,
But one cannot say my voyage was in vain.
For I have seen with my own eyes,
International fear and international lies.

[Ohkunoshima “Rabbit Island”: 08/05/18]



4. Life resembles Ying and Yang. Amidst all the darkness that the atomic bomb created, Nagasaki is that white space… that space of hope and renewal. Yet, the world has the potential to be that black space… a space that could erase the white. Some nations are too close to making this a reality. Remember 09-08-1945.

[Nagasaki Memorial Hall: 11/05/18]



5. A bruise cascades down my spinal bone,
An arched heron and I; we stand alone.
The wetlands firm in unrelenting heat,
Yet, I expire where water and land meet.
I know that I can go on…
But the question is, for how long?

[Tajima Coastal Road, Kinosaki:  15/05/18]





6. Magome, through Tsumago to Nakasendo-
Bear bells ring out in a roaring crescendo.

Mt. Etna is watching me-
Perspire in strengths capacity.

Cobbled stones pave the way,
Adjacent to Kiso’s laborious highway.

Through forest groves and quaint alcoves,
A geisha house I find; a true treasure trove.

[Kiso Valley: 18/05/18]



7. There is nothing like an evening breeze,
When at the red man, forced to freeze.
Forced to watch the passers-by-
And the forever hazy charcoal sky-
Set over this city of lights,
Whilst inside, your true self fights.

[Nagoya: 18/05/18]




8. Sipping warm matcha in the evening sun,
I realise that a beautiful moment has begun.
Failure does not lie in the ceased plan,
But failure is in failing to appreciate what has began.

Now gazing out over the port of Aomori,
I feel warmed by a pool of Japanese tea.
So, thank you to fate; trains being late-
Because now I sit and simply appreciate…

This moment.

[Aomori: 02/06/18]





9. Hues of amber and rose upon the sea,
Align the path to a pilgrims key.
Transparent mountains now ready to sleep
Fade, as little lights prepare to greet-
Night-walkers from foreign sand,
Who now rest in this oriental, antique land.

[Mt. Hakodate: 04/06/18]






Comments

Popular Posts